Thursday, March 27, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Boys vs Girls - Tia


I don't like it when people play with my emotions. Don't tease me. Let your yes be yes and your no be no. That being said, all of these rumors and rumblings of rumors about a Backstreet Boys/Spice Girls tour are starting to make me angry. Don't toy with me! (I'm looking at you Brian Littrell.) I NEED to know if this is happening or not so that I can plan accordingly.

I was and still am a huge Spice Girls fan. When Toya found this out she was COMPLETELY shocked. She told me she would have never pegged me as a Spice Girls fan. But a fan I am. I have all of their music and I have their movie on VHS and DVD. I can't bring myself to give up the VHS tape even though I haven't had a VCR in years.

I never got to see them in concert. I was too broke their first go round. And when they went on tour again 6 or 7 years ago, they didn't do a show anywhere near me. So that's why I'm hoping that all of this "Yes, we are/No we're not" build up is similar to what the New Kids did a few years back. There were rumors of a tour when they appeared on the Grammys (I think it was the Grammys) but they denied it. Then they appeared somewhere else. Still no confirmation of a tour. But we knew something was happening because the Kids were popping up everywhere. And then BAM! they were touring. So my hope is that all of this cryptic talk is leading up to my inner teenager finally getting to scream/sing "Spice Up Your Life." A girl can dream, can't she?

In honor of wishes possibly coming true (yes, I was singing Sweet Sensation as I typed that) here are my top 5 favourite (yes, UK spelling) Spice Girls songs. (I already ranked my top 5 BSB songs here.)

Mama

I've always had a tumultuous relationship with my mother. It's gotten a bit better the older I've gotten but it has never been storybook. But regardless of how rocky things were between us, this song always made me take a moment to appreciate her. You only get one mother.

2 Become 1

I was something of a sheltered teenager. I grew up in church and even went to Christian university. So this song bordered on salacious in my book.
Be a little bit wiser baby/Put it on, put it on
Cause tonight is the night/when two become one
I felt some kind of way singing this. But it was still my jam.



Spice Up Your Life

I used to dance so hard to this song in my dorm. It sounded like a party. And whenever I would play the Spice Girls video game on my Playstation (yes, that existed. Yes, I was a fan LIKE THAT) this was always the song I chose. I still get really happy and bubbly when it pops up on my iPod.

Too Much

Confession: The Mels were my favorite. I loved both of their voices and both of them made me want to stay in the gym. I loved Mel C's sportiness because I was a certifiable tomboy. And Mel B's abs…well they were Mel B's abs. Google if you need a reference.

Anyway, I especially loved the vocals of this song. And no disrespect to the other girls but Mel C carried this song. Everyone did well, but Mel C was the one on this joint.

Goodbye

This is hands down my FAVORITE Spice Girls song. Granted, it was one of the last songs they did as a group, so it was really bittersweet when I listened to it on repeat 100 times when it first came out. But I loved it. I still do. I loved the visuals of the video. (Mel B is so cute and pregnant. And I still remember when it debuted on MTV when they still played videos. Mel C introduced it and made a comment about her hyper-extended arms. Her words, not mine…but I digress) I love the melody of the song. If this pops up while my iPod is on shuffle, I have to listen to it no less than 5 times. I love it THAT much.

I'm sitting here listening to "Goodbye" while I edit this and I'm really hoping that one of my teenage dreams will finally come true. Who do I need to email/Facebook/Tweet/Instagram to get this tour going? Is anyone else as excited as I am about the possibility of this happening. I'm not out here alone on this, right? Don't front. You're probably singing "Say You'll Be There" right now.

Happy Thursday and a zig-a-zig-ahhh to you all.

1 comment:

Lei said...

I have almost got myself in many of accidents singing "Spice up Your Life" in the car. I own their greatest hits and at one time actually owned a Scary Spice doll. I sold it at a tag sale at a time when I felt I was too grown to have it. I do regret that choice. I would be so excited to see BSB and them perform together. I ain't gonna lie I have been to all but 2 of BSB's tours, since they first came out. So I would be going if they were touring with Danity Kane. But Spice Girls. I am so on board.