Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Woman Crush Wednesday: Lupita Nyong'o - Tia

Seriously…HER FACE IS EVERYTHING!!!
There are two types of movies that I usually shy away from: movies with sexual assault scenes and movies with slavery themes that contain brutal beating sequences. I still get an awful feeling if I see Sally Field somewhere because of the scene from Eye for an Eye. And any movie containing abuse and oppression of black people, well, I don't even have to tell you how that makes me feel sickened and disgusted. The atrocities of slavery actually happened…to people related to me. As such, it's hard, bordering on impossible, for me to watch certain slavery based movies. And from what I've read, 12 Years a Slave contains everything that I try to avoid in movies. 

When the movie first debuted I did some research on my own on Solomon Northup. I even downloaded the book 12 Years a Slave. (Side note: When did I embrace e-books like this? *sigh* I miss actual books.) Although the story is remarkable, I still couldn't bring myself to see the film. And that's why I had no idea who Lupita was until award season started. But thank you Internets for giving this woman the shine she deserves.

By all accounts, Lupita gives a stunning performance in the movie. But not only is she an amazing actress, she's freaking GORGEOUS!!!

I mean, MY GOD!!! Look at this woman. Her style is sickening. And her face is EVERYTHING!! Of course, I would never want to reduce someone to just a pretty face. So I'll mention that Lupita graduated from Yale. An impressive feat by anyone's standards. But…I mean…can we go back to how gorgeous she is?!?!?


I must confess, every time I see this woman I'm enthralled by her. I find myself wanting to know more about her. Not in a creepy stalker way, but in a "this woman is amazing, tell me more about her awesomeness" kind of way. I mean seriously, doesn't this picture with Angela Bassett just make you want to sit down with both of them and pick their brains (and ask about their upper arm workouts because you know Angela got them guns too.)


I sincerely hope that this is just the beginning for Lupita. She seems to be on a trajectory that will put her smack dab in the middle of superstardom. And I for one am SO FOR IT! We need more talent and faces like hers in Hollywood. BGLU is on Lupita's cheering squad. Yes ma'am…do your thang!!

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I saw pictures of her and Jared Leto together. She is flawless!!